Choosing the Right General Contractor: The Ultimate Guide
Building or remodeling your home is a big commitment that requires a considerable amount of time, money, and resources. Choosing the right general contractor for the job can make all the difference. However, with so many options to choose from, how do you know which one is right for you?
At RLH Residential, we believe that communication and transparency are key when it comes to building a strong, trusting relationship with our clients. That’s why we love questions and encourage our clients to ask as many as they need to feel comfortable throughout the entire process.
To help you make an informed decision when choosing a general contractor, we’ve put together a list of essential questions that you should ask:
- 1. What is your experience level?
- The experience level of your general contractor can determine whether or not they have the skills necessary to complete your project successfully. Ask them about their background, years of experience, and the types of projects they have completed in the past.
- 2. What is your process?
- Understanding the process your general contractor will use before, during, and after the project is important. A good general contractor will have a system in place and will inform you about how they will communicate with you.
- 3. What is your pricing structure?
- The pricing structure for your project includes cost, payment, and any additional fees. Make sure to ask how they charge for their work and what payment methods they accept.
- 4. What insurance do you carry?
- Having the appropriate general liability and workers’ compensation insurance policies in place protects both the general contractor and homeowners in case of an accident.
- 5. Are you licensed and bonded?
- A licensed and bonded general contractor ensures that they have the necessary licenses and permits to complete the project safely and efficiently.
- 6. What kind of warranty do you offer?
- A warranty is helpful, and it assures you of the quality of the work done. Know what the warranty covers and how long it will last.
- 7. What materials will you use?
- The materials used in your renovation affect both the durability and the environmental impact of your project. Don’t hesitate to ask the general contractor about the quality of the wood used for cabinets and flooring or the effectiveness of the vinyl siding for exterior work.
- 8. How will you handle subcontractors?
- Subcontractors may be used for some of the work, so ask the general contractor how they will manage them and determine who is responsible for what part of the project.
- 9. How will you handle unexpected issues?
- A good contractor should be prepared for any unforeseen circumstances that may arise during the project. Ask how they will deal with any issues that occur and how long it will take to get back on track.
- 10. What happens after the project is complete?
- The work doesn’t stop when the construction is done. You should know how the general contractor will handle post-project clean-up and if they offer any maintenance or repair services.
Choosing the right general contractor is critical for the success of your home building or renovation project. Asking the right questions and getting the answers you need can help you avoid any problems and achieve the outcome you’re hoping for. Remember to ask as many questions as you need to feel informed and comfortable throughout the entire process. We are always here to answer any questions you may have!